Skip to main content

The Laborers Who Keep Dick Pics and Beheadings Out of Your FaceBook Feed

Part 1: There is a silent population of skimmers keeping our social media PG. These 'skimmers' spend their days clearing out porn and graphic content, so the internet is more friendly for users of all ages. It is estimated that well over 100,000 people moderate in this way, doubling google's employees. These moderators are paid terribly, and sign non-disclosure agreements in order to maintain the illusion of godly algorithms and coding carrying the platform. The mental toll on many of these moderators meant leaving before even having their position for a year. While many of these employees have counseling provided for them, it simply doesn't undo the damage already done.

Part 2: How am I supposed to respond to this article? Even with the in-class warning, I was unprepared for the content of this article. Knowing the fragility of my own mental health without seeing things like that every day, I can only imagine the horrible effects that has on those who's job it is to clean up our internet. I remember an ex who would tell me about these horrible videos he'd watched online, it was some undercover site. And I just wondered how someone could watch those. Knowing what I know now about him combined with the information this article shared has given me a clearer view. Recognizing that there are sick people in the world who enjoy that shit (there is no better word for it) is difficult, but honestly that just seems to be the most blatant version of privilege I've ever come across. We can pretend the world is sunshine and roses, we can choose innocence and ignorance because of those who face the darkest pieces of humanity day in and day out. We owe so much to these laborers, but they're kept to the shadows. Few will ever know the true service they provide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inclusive Game Design - Part Two

Part 1: This game opens with calming music and a clear story. As each level is passed, new educational content is unlocked which explains the game and the Iñupiat cultural ties. These educational videos (referred to as Cultural Insights in-game) are under two minutes in length, which fits the pacing of the gameplay itself. This makes for a smooth transition between learning and playing, keeping the audience involved. As the game progresses, the story continually grows and moves forward as the player does. This stylistic choice is directly tied to the Iñupiat style of storytelling, and conveys the importance placed on these stories. Part 2: Before I even began playing this game I explored the menu a bit, and was thrilled to discover how many languages this game is available in! Another section of the menu led me to content that appears to unlock as you progress through the story. This content consisted of multiple educational videos detailing the way the importance of the Iñupiat...